Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Cutting down the cost of milk

Lots of stores are now offering great deals on milk, but it still cost a lot more than I would like to spend. While I still buy some when I have room in the budget for it and am at the store, I mostly use powdered milk. This is especially helpful for when I am trying to do once a month grocery shopping. I simply do not have the space to freeze milk so am limited in what I can buy from the store. So powdered milk it is!

Okay, I know a bunch of you just got grossed out but give me a chance to explain. My family and I are not huge milk drinkers but we do use it a ton in cooking and baking. I especially go through milk when I make our yogurt (stay tuned for a post of that). By buying powdered milk very inexpensively either in a box at typical grocery stores or in the bulk section at my favorite store in the world, Winco, I can always have it on hand. It is very easy to make up a half gallon in two minutes and you cannot taste any difference if you are using it for cooking. The kids and I even use it in our cereal. I do not drink milk so I cannot vouch for the taste on it's own, but I am guessing true milk lovers will find a difference in taste.

Give it a try and let me know what you think! This has seriously saved me so much money in the last year. It is one of my favorite frugal tips.

1 comment: